I've become one of those people that feels they need to create a blog in order to keep others updated on their lives. I've always felt that it was an unnecessary step to take, but my feelings on the matter have changed. I've realized that I'm the epitome of a poor correspondent, and that I don't do much to keep up with people--either to see how they're doing or to let them know how I'm doing. But I realized that my sister has very few means of communicating with us, other than her lovely blog, now that she's in Russia. And it occurred to me that although I'm not moving to the other side of the world, I AM moving to Jackson Hole and I might possibly be in a similar situation soon.
So here I am: blogging. I've created this to keep everyone updated on what Daniel and I are up to. And because I'll be blogging, I will most likely be reading up on everyone else as well. Thus, I am making an effort to be a better correspondent. Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually...right now I'm just lamenting the fact that I've become one of those people. I can't really call them those people anymore, can I? Now they are my people...
Regardless of what kind of people they are, or I am, I suppose my first update is in order.
Friday was my birthday, and what a glorious day it was too! It was full of wonderful surprises, all put together by the most amazing man in my life. (That's Daniel, in case no one got it...)
It all started on Monday when Daniel and I went to look at mountain bikes. We've recently decided that mountain biking a sport that Daniel loves and does quite well at, and one that I should start to love and excel in. That way we have something we can do together--other than burn gas going off-roading, which we've pretty much mastered. And it's a great way to do something healthy. So, we were considering getting a mountain bike for me.
So we went to a few different shops and got a few opinions from people who are supposedly experienced and people who actually are, until I test-rode a bike that I was pretty sure was "the one." Unfortunately, Daniel informed me that we did not have the money for the bike at the moment..."maybe after payday," he said. Alas, there was no purchasing of a bike. I did, however, purchase a helmet to take with me on my trip to Moab with my class (more on that later...)
So, the next day we went back to our normal, non-Memorial Day weekend lives and bored our minds out with work. I made my daily hour-long commute to Provo and dreamt of my bike that may or may not be mine.
Then, on Wednesday, I left for Moab for my Venturing Outdoor Leadership class. We drove down and hiked Delicate Arch on Wednesday (the license plate arch), went mountain biking (when I consecrated my new helmet), rock climbing, and rappelling on Thursday, then drove home on Friday. (Ok, I'll admit it. I didn't actually do the rock climbing and rappelling part. I did belay, however, which is quite an accomplishment for me. I just didn't want to subject the class to the sight of me being ill as I try to conquer the height. That's something I'll work on with just a few close friends, thank you!) When I got back to my apartment on Friday afternoon I lethargically wondered in and dumped my pack in the middle of the floor then proceeded to pull my sandy sleeping back out to air out. Then I flopped dramatically on the couch to call my husband and let him know I was home. "I'mdrivingI'llcallyouback," was all I got out of him. It's kind of against the rules for him to talk on the phone while he's got a school bus full of kids, so I don't blame him. So, then I meandered into the bathroom to relieve myself after several hours of driving, and then wandered into the bedroom. And this is part that I love to tell.
I walked into the room and standing next to the window was the beautiful bike I had picked out on Monday. It stood there in all its glory, with its not too flashy colors, its seat adjusted just right, and its tires still slightly muddy from my test ride on Monday. And sitting on the bedside table was a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, with all of my favorites: stargazers, oriental lilies, gerbers, calla lilies, and Daniel's favorite spider mums. It was bedecked with violet stock, and fern leaves (not the ones that sprinkle everywhere and drive me nuts, but the pretty ones), along with calla lily leaves. It was so colorful and vibrant--absolutely gorgeous. And he had gotten a cook book for me (which I love!) that has a picture for every recipe. That's my thing...I like to know if what I made looks right, so I want a picture for each recipe. He was so cute and remembered. I went through and marked all of the recipes I wanted to try first, and as I was flipping through I found a card informing me that Daniel had gotten tickets to see Into the Woods when it's in town in October. Basically, I was the happiest woman on earth. Daniel's favorite part of this whole story is when I tell everyone that he had also spelled "Happy Birthday" in q-tips on the bed. If nothing else, he's creative.
I was so shocked! I had talked to him the night before and he had said that we would have to sit down and talk about the mountain bike...see if we could budget it in somehow. Little did I know that when I was picking out a helmet on Monday, he had gone and put the bike hold. Then, while I was gone, he went and paid for it. Apparently, we did have enough money for it...he was just tricking me. Silly boy. I fell for it.
Then, that night, we went to Rodizio Grill (where I had requested to go for my birthday dinner) and I was shocked to learn that he had invited all of our friends too! Honestly, if I had know he was inviting other people I would have picked a much less expensive restaurant! But as we sat there waiting for our table to be ready, in walked Randy. Then Mike and Tandi. Then Jessica and Brennan! I was shocked! Huzzah for the amazing husband, huh?
We had a great time at dinner, then went to Jessica and Brennan's to play Rock Band. And by that I mean the boys all played while Jessica and I talked about everything under the sun. Daniel and I didn't leave until 2am! This is not common for us, might I add. All in all, it was a spectacular birthday.
But now I'm back to real life, which kinda really bites. This is my last week of school til September, but that's only because we leave for Jackson Hole on Friday. So this week is going to be hellish as I work out taking finals, final papers, presentations, plus everything that I would normally be doing two weeks before the end of the term.
We're packing everything up in our apartment, and everything in his parents house. That's going to be the problem--his parents house. He's got EVERYTHING in that room of his. And you would think that he could have managed to pack it up before we got married...but that's far too logical. We're finally moving away and his brothers coming home from his mission so he HAS to move his stuff out. So add that to everything else. What fun!
I can't wait til we're in Jackson, though. It's going to be so wonderful to be back there. I'll get to be on the river everyday, getting skinny and sexy tan. And I'll get to see Daniel everyday, and we'll actually get to share every single meal together! That hasn't happened since last summer. Even though we live together, we say goodbye at six thirty in the morning and then I don't see him until at least six or seven at night. Later on some nights. So it will be glorious. I'm definitely my happiest in Jackson. That's where I met the love of my life after all...
Sorry about the long post. I'll try to keep it shorter next time.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good luck with school and packing, and thank you for updating us even when you're so busy! I'm so glad I'm one of your people now. I love you!
Post a Comment