We are currently visiting my family in Virginia, and we just returned from a week at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I know a lot of my Utah friends are unfamiliar with how glorious the Outer Banks are, and there's frankly no describing it. The entire visit we were on an island, with no where special to be and no one in particular to see. We were on our own time, and it was amazing.
Although I've been a few times with my family before, we've never been without our Cowdery cousins, so this was a little different. It was just us Meppens--with our spouses and children, of course. My Grandma Lee also flew out from Boise to join us for the week. My parents got a beach house for the entire week and it was just a matter of walking 100 yards to get to the gorgeous, clear water and rolling waves. We stayed in an area called Corolla (pronounced by locals--all 500 of them--as "Crilla") where we've never stayed before. It wasn't crowded at all, and there are stretches of beach there are only accessible by 4x4 driving. It's also known for it's wild horses, who are supposedly descendants from the horses who swam ashore from several Spanish shipwrecks. Daniel and I went out into the uninhabited areas and actually found a small group of them! It was amazing!
One other great thing from the week was when my Dad took my Daniel, my brother, and one of my sisters to go crabbing. They caught a ton with just some string, a net, and chicken pieces! We bought some fresh shrimp, fingerling potatoes, and corn on the cob to go with them and made our own low-country boil for lunch! It was delicious, and so fun to sit around and shell our own crabs that were caught that same morning!
Of course we got TONS of pictures from the trip, which I've included below. I hope you enjoy them! (Warning, there will be the occasional unflattering shot of a very un-tanned, pregnant woman. Just ignore her and admire the adorable little girl with her!)
3 comments:
Very Very cute! I'm jealous, looks like tons of fun. We miss you guys though!
That looks like SO much fun!! I love the family pictures - it's so great to see everyone. Lynny has already gotten bigger since this summer - they grow like weeds don't they!
I'm so jealous. Looks like you guys had a great time! Congrats on the little boy!
-Mike Burton
Post a Comment